Coolest & Weirdest Places I Worked Around the World
Working remotely means you have the outmost freedom and flexibility to do what you want, where you want and when you want. If you’re a night owl, you can work from home from 11pm to 6am and no one cares as long as the work gets done. But, like all good things in life, there’s a silver lining: working remotely also means you’re likely to have to juggle between different time zones, travel plans and wifi connections. And sometimes, life doesn’t go as planned and you end up hoping on conference calls, creating pitch decks or preparing reports in some pretty eccentric, yet amazing, places. Here’s a list of the 15 most unconventional and memorable places I worked as a digital nomad up to now:
1. Pole Dance Studio in Oslo, Norway
2. Beach Club on Ornos Beach in Mykonos, Greece
3. Agua Chiringuito, aka beach bar, on Tarifa beach between Kitesurf lessons, Spain
4. Carmo Convent in Lisbon, Portugal
5. On a Bus driving across Portugal from Faro to Lisbon, Portugal
6. In a car road tripping with my sister across Spain
7. Dentist waiting room in Rabat, Morocco
8. Laundry mat in Paris 7ème, France
9. Gynecologist waiting room in Paris 7ème in a beautiful old Parisian apartment, France
10. Rodoviaria in Rio de Janeiro at 4:30am, aka the largest bus station in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11. Barcelona Hostel in a 10 people dorm room, Spain
12. Hammock on beach terrace at a hostel in Ilha Grande, island south of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13. Terrace with a view on Acropolis of Athens, Greece
14. Terrace with a view on the Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15. Poolside in a gîte in the Périgord with a view of the Monbazillac vineyards and Bergerac with my 95 year old grandma and sister tanning, France
How did I do manage to work in these often crowded, noisy and distracting places? Simple: I get in the zone quickly. Your environment can be more or less conducive to helping you focus, but what matters most is your state of mind. The biggest challenge was by far having a strong wifi signal.
For that, I found Skyroam: it’s a portable hotspot that keeps you connected with a strong and secure wifi signal anywhere, without roaming fees, without contracts and that can be shared with up to 5 devices. I found it super useful so I partnered with them to get you 10% discount with the code VOYAGESTORIES. Click here to get your digital nomad on.
Enjoy the freedom!